The village is situated in a range of volcanic hills known as the Cimini Mounts.
The city's chief claim to fame is the large Renaissance mansion or villa which dominates the surrounding country-side the Villa Farnese built by a Cardinal from the Farnese family in the mid 16th century.
The Villa Farnese is a massive Renaissance construction built circa 1550, opening to the Monte Cimini, a range of densely wooded volcanic hills. It has a five-sided plant, and is built in reddish gold stone; buttress support the piano nobile above, with two floors above again housing an almost complete two storey villa in itself. As a power house at the center of vast Farnese holdings, it has always been more than a villa in the ordinary agricultural or pleasure senses.
The shape of the villa was predetermined by the rocca, the pentagonal fortress foundations it sits upon, which were constructed in the 1520s by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and Baldassare Peruzzi. Each face of the pentagon is canted inwards towards its center, to permit raking fire upon a would-be scaling force, both from the center and from the projecting bastions that advance from each corner angle of the fortress. It is thought that the circular central courtyard was also determined by the necessities of the pentagonal plan.
source: wikipediaclick here to book a room in our agritourism farmhouse